Contact Personal InjuryPersonal Injury
Personal Injury Home Car Accident Traffic Ticket Personal Injury Accident Benefits Insurance Claims
Full Name  

Car Accidents in Ontario

Accident Benefits

Personal Injury

Traffic Tickets Defense


If you have been injured in a car accident, you may be entitled to certain financial benefits which will assist you while you are recovering. Statutory Accident Benefits Schedule (or SABS) is provincial regulation of benefits which are standardized among insurance companies. Statutory Accident Benefits provide compensation, regardless of fault, if you, your passengers, or pedestrians suffer injury in an automobile accident.

What Should I Know About Claiming Accident Benefits?

Even though you have reported your car accident and damages to your property (vehicle and etc), if you are injured, you must report your injuries to your insurance company as well. Claiming accident benefits and claiming restitution for damages to personal property are two separate endeavors.

How Long Do I Have To Report My Injuries?

In practice, you should report your injuries to your insurer within 7 days of the accident. After you report your injuries, your insurer will send you and request the completion of an Application for Benefits Form (also known as an OCF-1 Form). You have 30 days after the receipt of the form to complete and send it to your insurance company. If you do not complete the form within 30 days of its receipt, you must provide a reasonable explanation as to why the form was not complete in the given timeframe.

Who Is Eligible For Accident Benefits?

Any person who is injured in an accident or who suffers psychological or mental injuries because of an accident that injures certain relatives or dependants. This means that even if you were not involved in a car accident you may still be eligible to accident benefits to help you deal with the psychological and mental strains of injured relatives.

If you are insured under more than one policy, there are special rules which that determine from which policy you are eligible to receive accident benefits.


Your insurance company is allowed to deny payment of Income Replacement Benefits, Non-earner Benefits and compensation for Other Expenses Benefits to:

  • any driver who knew, or should reasonably have known, that he or she was driving the vehicle without valid insurance,
  • any driver without a valid driver’s license,
  • any driver who was specifically excluded from driving under your insurance policy,
  • any driver or passengers who knew, or should reasonably have known that the vehicle was driven without the owner’s consent,
  • anyone who made or knew about a material misrepresentation that induced the insurance company to provide you with automobile insurance, and
  • anyone who was engaged at the time of the accident in an act for which he or she is convicted of any criminal offence, whether or not the offence is related to the operation of a vehicle.

What's Next?

In order for your insurance company to assess your need for a certain benefit, your insurance company will ask you to provide them with information describing the injuries you have sustained as a result of the car accident. Your legal representative will assist you in the process of claiming for your injuries.

After the completion of an OCF-1 form, your insurer will request that a Disability Certificate (OCF-3 Form) be completed by a member of the medical profession. In a nutshell, the OCF-3 form lists your injuries and disabilities which arose as a result of the accident, and which prevent you from being able to perform certain tasks such as returning back to work.

For a complete list of forms in PDF format, please visit our Resources page. For more information on claims, visit our Insurance Claims section. If you still need more clarification please contact us by either filling out the contact form.


Below are brief descriptions of the types of benefits for which you may be eligible. For a more complete description and to determine if you are eligible for any of the following benefits, please click on each of the benefits.

Income Replacement Benefit

If you are eligible, this weekly benefit will partially compensate you for the loss of your income if you cannon work because of injuries related to the car accident.

Non-Earner Benefit

If you are eligible, this benefit would compensate you 26 weeks after the onset of your complete inability to carry on your normal activities.

Caregiver Benefit

If you are eligible, this weekly benefit will reimburse you for expenses you have incurred if you cannot continue as the main caregiver for a member of your household who is under 16, or who is over 16 and suffers from a disability.

Medical and Rehabilitation Benefits

This benefit will pay for reasonable and necessary medical and rehabilitation expenses not covered by a government health plan or a supplementary health plan you have already have.

Attendant Care Benefit

This benefit will pay reasonable and necessary expenses for a caregiver or attendant that you require as a result of the accident.

Other Expenses Benefit

This benefit will pay for other expenses such as lost educational expenses, expenses of visitors, the reasonable cost of housekeeping and home maintenance and repairing or replacing certain items lost or damaged in the car accident.

Death and Funeral Payments Benefit

There are lump sum payments available for survivors of a personal killed in a car accident and to help pay for the expenses of a funeral.